Sunday, April 6, 2008

Mixing Things Up

Last night, I attended a party. This party had two DJs, one on the ground floor and one in the basement. The ground floor DJ, known as DJ Sutl, played house while the basement DJ played 90s pop. DJ Sutl is amazing. I need say no more, but I'm going to anyway. Already a techno fan, I was enthralled by the excellent mixing and modding that made the music come alive. One song, "Addicted to Bass" was featured on the album Techno Party Vol. I that was produced several years ago. I had not heard it since, but DJ Sutl's mix was fantastic.

While at the party, I had the opportunity to chat with DJ Sutl and he provided me with a few tips for the beginning DJ. Well, one tip really- practice. As such, I intend to obtain a beginning setup at some point this summer (a turntable, a mixing station, and maybe a drum machine) to begin mixing my own music. DJs typically come in two stripes- house DJs mix and mash up while scratch DJs scratch vinyl records to create the characteristic wiki sound. Sir Mix-A-Lot is one of the more famous scratchers, well known for his song "Baby Got Back". My personal preference is for house, which I find more interesting than scratching. I also hope to record and digitize some of my mixing, which I may or may not be able to post here, depending on legality (I'm in the business of fun, not lawsuits).

No comments: